05 April 2011

2 Kings 6:15-17

     First, let me set the scene for you.  God is revealing many things to Elisha who is informing the king of Israel.  The king is making his strategic moves based on the information from Elisha.  Israel's enemy, Aram, is becoming very frustrated that Israel seems to know what they are doing ahead of time.  Their king believes that someone in his camp is leaking information.  Then he (the king of Aram) is informed that Elisha the prophet is the one who is giving Israel the information.  He decides to find out where Elisha is staying and capture him.  The troops head out to Dothan and surround the city.  Here we pick up the story in verses 15-17 of 2 Kings 6.

15 When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. “Oh no, my lord! What shall we do?” the servant asked.  16 “Don’t be afraid,” the prophet answered. “Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.”
 17 And Elisha prayed, “Open his eyes, LORD, so that he may see.” Then the LORD opened the servant’s eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. 

     I have highlighted verse 17 because it is the crux of these verses.  It is so important for each of us to remember that in the midst of our battles, there is warfare in the heavenly realms that we do not see.  Oh, how I wish that my eyes could be opened so that I could see those "hills full of horses and the chariots of fire" that are around me and my family as we struggle through some tremendous battles.  My oldest daughter has been in what I feel is an "epic" battle (see my previous post here about those!) with an eating disorder since the summer of 2007.  You know, that is almost 4 years now.  And we as her family are in this battle with her.  I wish that I (we) could see the army that the Lord has fighting for her right now.  She waffles between wanting to be better and wanting to just be the disease.  It is agonizing to watch and I feel so helpless to actually make a difference against this illness.  It is like an abusive boyfriend that she must decide to dump.  But those abusive relationships seem to be so hard to get out of for some reason.

     This verse is such an encouragement to me that I am not alone...she is not alone...we are not alone.  The Lord has given me this verse twice in less than a week, so I believe that He wants me to understand that the battle is His.  But I am still praying, "Lord, intervene quickly!!  I need You to help us!!"

Blessings to you today!!
~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment