24 February 2011

Good afternoon...

I almost put "Good Morning" because it just seems that this day, like many others, is flying by!  But that might be part of my thoughts for another day.

Today, I wanted to say hello to anyone out there who might stumble across my blog.  It has been quite a process just to find the right name for my blog.  I know you are probably thinking to yourself...."'Memoirs of Amy' doesn't seem that complicated to me."  And that is a true statement.  It took me a month to finally secure this blog name might be a more accurate statement.  I tried thousands---well in reality, probably only a couple dozen, but it seemed like thousands---of blog names before I found one that someone else had not taken.  I almost put "that someone else was using," but that would have been a bit misleading.  I guess the years from 2000 to 2005 were a big time to start a blog.  I searched many possible blog names, but almost all (except this one, of course) were blogs started in those years and most had only one to two posts TOTAL!!!  Did those people forget that they started a blog?  Did they forget their user name and password so they never posted again?  Or maybe some of them have even passed away...  Whatever the reason for all of those unused blogs, I just wonder...Isn't there some way to get rid of those old blogs that no one is using to free up all those great blog names that I searched???  But, alas, I think the answer to that question is no.  I've heard that once something is out there on the Internet, it is there forever.

You might have noticed that I already had a couple of blog postings before this one in which I introduce myself.  Turns out I have another blog.  I used to sell Stampin' Up! rubber stamps and crafting products.  I started my other blog to share my creative endeavors.  I am no longer a demonstrator for SU! products, but I am still an avid crafter....although my time is limited with 3 teenage girls (which makes me a taxi driver most days!).  So on my stamping blog, I had started to post some of my thoughts from my Bible reading and study.  I got the bright idea to start a second blog with those things on it and save the first blog for crafting stuff.  With this blog finally established, I moved a couple of posts from my other blog.  Now, let's just pray that I do not become one of those statistics that I mentioned earlier who start a blog, post twice and then are seemingly lost forever!!

Now, introductions are in order.  My name is Amy (obviously).  I am married and have 3 teenage daughters (okay, the youngest is days away from 13, so I am rounding up!)  I live in the mountains of Virginia, although I did not grow up here.  I have been a Christian for 11 years.  I am striving to do more Bible reading and study, and I really need to journal my thoughts.  That is part of the reason for this blog, but I am certain I won't put all of my thoughts out here in cyberland for all to read!   I have been trying to keep an actual journal for years, but for the most part that has been random.  I might scour those journals (yes, that is plural on purpose---I started lots of times, therefore lots of journals!) to find tidbits from the past to include here.

I am not sure who if anyone will ever find this and start reading.  But if you are out there reading this...WELCOME!!

My thoughts for today are about 2 Kings 25:9.  I am studying this section from Sunday School this week.  Verse 9 is talking about a man named Nebuzaradan who was a commander under Nebuchadnezzar.  The verse says:

"He burned the Lord's temple, the king's palace, and all the houses of Jerusalem; he burned down all the great houses."

The part of this that really struck me was in the study guide.  It said, "To watch the temple disappear in flames likely would have signified to the people of Judah that God's presence had departed."

It makes me wonder, were these people so holy and spiritual that they would have stood around lamenting that "the presence of the Lord has departed from us."  Or maybe they would have been more like most of us.  We would see the beautiful, historic building burning, and although we are saddened by the loss of it, most of us have forgotten the significance of that old building in the first place.  It might seem a sad statement on society these days, but I somehow think that people are people....always have been, always will be.  Maybe it wasn't until later, in retrospect, that people came to realize the signifance of what they witnessed.  Maybe the realities of what had taken place came to them bit by bit.  I'm not sure.  I just hope that they are more like me, I guess.  I do pray however that my spiritual eyes will be opened to at last see glimpses of God in the daily events surrounding me.  And maybe sometimes I will be able to grasp the major signifance of an event!

Have a blessed day wherever you are!!
~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment